Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Life Journal January 22, 2008
Today's Readings: Exodus 3-5; Luke 22

Who me?

Scripture
[God speaking] ". . . The cries of the people of Israel have reached me, and I have seen how the Egyptians have oppressed them with heavy tasks. Now go, for I am sending you to Pharaoh. You will lead my people, the Israelites, out of Egypt."

"But who am I to appear before Pharaoh?" Moses asked God. "How can you expect me to lead the Israelites out of Egypt?"

Then God told him, "I will be with you. And this will serve as proof that I have sent you. . . ."

But Moses pleaded with the LOrd, "O Lord, I'm just not a good speaker. I never have been, and I'm not now, even after you have spoken to me. I'm clumsy with words."

"Who makes mouths?" the Lord asked him. "Who makes people so they can speak or not speak, hear or not hear, see or not see? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go, and do as I have told you. I will help you speak well, and I will tell you what to say."

But Moses again pleaded, "Lord, please! Send someone else."

Exodus 3.9-12; 4.10-13

Observation
God uses the most unlikely [and sometimes stubborn] people to change the world.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
The reading in Exodus today is one of my favorites. God APPEARS to Moses in a burning bush . . . and Moses argues with Him. God tells Moses that He will be with him. God gives Moses signs to demonstrate His power. And yet, Moses begs for God to pick someone else.

How like Moses I can be. More afraid of what others will think and how they will react then what God will think. God appears to me in and through His Word. He clearly shows me what He wants me to do . . . . and yet, I argue. I ask Him to show me His will, what He wants me to do . . . and when He does--I say, 'Oh, not that. Something else please.'

So, how will I be different today? By listening, trusting, and walking in what He calls me to. . . . whether it is what I want to hear and do or not. Remembering that I can do all things through Christ.

Prayer
Lord, I want to be faithful in serving You. I want to do what You call me to do. But, Lord, I need Your strength, wisdom, and power to do it. Thank You for Your promises that You are with me. . . even when I don't feel Your presence--I know that I can trust in You. Walk with me Lord. Help me to stand strong in all that You have called me to do in Your name. Use me to change the world for You!

No comments: