Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Life Journal January 16, 2007
Today's readings: Genesis 39-41; Luke 16

Trusting God In the Midst

Scripture
"The Lord was with Joseph and blessed him greatly as he served in the home of his Egyptian master. Potiphar noticed this and realized that the Lord was with Joseph, giving him success in everything he did. So Joseph naturally became quite a favorite with him. Potiphar soon put Joseph in charge of his entire household and entrusted him with all his business dealings. From the day Joseph was put in charge, the Lord began to bless Potiphar for Joseph's sake. All his household affairs began to run smoothly, and his crops and livestock flourished. So Potiphar gave Joseph complete administrative responsibility over everything he owned. With Joseph there, he didn't have a worry in the world, except to decide what he wanted to eat. . . . After hearing his wife's story, Potiphar was furious! He took Joseph and threw him into the prison where the king's prisoners were held. But the Lord was with Joseph there, too, and he granted Joseph favor with the chief jailer. Before long, the jailer put Joseph in charge of all the other prisoners and over everything that happened in the prison. The chief jailer had no more worries after that, because Joseph took care of everything. The Lord was with him, making everything run smoothly and successfully."
Genesis 39.2-6a, 19-23

Observation
No matter what our circumstances, we need to live and act out of the truth we know--that God is with us. And, that He can use any circumstance to show His power and bless us.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I just read?)
Joseph is thrown in a pit by his brothers, sold to Ishmaelite traders, [read Genesis 37] and then sold to a member of Pharaoh's personal staff. That in itself would be enough to make you question where God was, why He would allow this to happen to you.

But, God was with Joseph--and blessed him.

Then Potiphar's wife framed Joseph for rape and he is thrown into prison. And even there, God remained with him and blessed him.

How often do things go in a way that I would question God's plan and presence? I forget to look past myself and my circumstances to what God is doing and wants to do. How many opportunities have I missed to be used by God and to be blessed by Him because I was too focused on my circumstances--rather than on what He can do in and through those circumstances.

God's Word tells us to "Always be joyful" and "No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus." [1 Thessalonians 5.16, 18] How different my life can be if I keep my eyes upon God and not upon how I perceive my circumstances!

Prayer
Father God, may I walk in Your power. May I see life through Your eyes. May I not miss the blessings and opportunities You have for me because I am focused on myself. Help me to remember that the picture is bigger than what I can see. May I serve You in all that I do, bringing you glory and honor in all circumstances. Thank You for calling me to be Your own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What do you think, please, of Obadiah Shoher's interpretation of the story? (here: samsonblinded.org/blog/genesis-37.htm ) He takes the text literally to prove that the brothers played a practical joke on Yosef rather than intended to murder him or sell him into slavery. His argument seems fairly strong to me, but I'd like to hear other opinions.