Friday, February 1, 2008

Life Journal February 1, 2008
Today's readings: Exodus 30-32; Acts 8

Sabbath

Scripture
The Lord then gave these further instructions to Moses: "Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the Lord, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the Lord considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death. The people of Israel must keep the Sabbath day forever. It is a permanent sign of my covenant with them. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, but he rested on the seventh day and was refreshed."
Exodus 31.12-17

Observation
The Sabbath is to be a special day set aside.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I am not very good at keeping a Sabbath. It's not that I don't want to--there is just always something to do, someone who needs something. I could say "no" . . . . but that just doesn't seem to work.

So, the question is, how can I arrange life so I can take a Sabbath?

When I do try to take a Sabbath, I find myself feeling guilty for not doing something. . . . There is always sooooooo much to do. I never seem to get caught up.

I find myself falling prey to expectations . . . . expectations from others and from myself. These are not things that God is calling me to do. . . . But those things that others believe I need to do--and I believe I need to do.

How do I get over this? How do I obey God and set aside one day a week to just be? That would be so wonderful.

Simplify my life would be one thing I could do. Learn to say "no" more--at least when it comes to my Sabbath. Learn to be still. Learn to be quiet. Learn to just be. To not worry about expectations from others or myself--but instead be concerned about God's expectations of me.

This is going to take some work, but I believe that if I can learn how to truly take a Sabbath, that I won't be so tired, so stressed, so . . . . crazy! God created me to need a Sabbath. God set the example for me. I just need to do it. Maybe next week..................

Prayer
Lord, Your Word on the importance of taking a Sabbath--no commanding us to take a Sabbath, is really convicting me. The world tells us that we always need to be busy. We can't stop for a moment or we will miss something. You tell us that we must stop everything and rest in You one day a week. You command that if anyone breaks the Sabbath law that they will be put to death--today we kill ourselves by not doing what Your Word commands. We push ourselves past what You created us to do--and it kills us--and we blame You. Forgive me Lord, for not listening to You. Forgive me for thinking the world cannot go on without me actively involved in it. Forgive me for not obeying You. I know it will take time, but Father, I want to do as You command. I want to learn to keep the Sabbath. Help me. Thank You for Your patience with me!

No comments: