Thursday, July 31, 2008

Life Journal, July 31, 2008
Today's readings: Isaiah 63-64; Psalm 107; John 2

Ever Faithful, Ever Loving

Scripture
Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever. . . .

Some wandered in the wilderness, lost and homeless. Hungry and thirsty, they nearly died. "Lord, Help!" they cried in their trouble and he rescued them from their distress. He led them straight to safety, to a city where they could live. Let them praise the Lord for his great love and for the wonderful things he has done for them. For he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.

Some sat in darkness and deepest gloom, imprisoned in iron chains of misery. They rebelled against the words of God, scorning the counsel of the Most High. That is why he broke them with hard labor; they fell, and no one was there to help them. "Lord, help!" they cried in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. He led them from the darkness and deepest gloom; he snapped their chains. Let them praise the Lord for his great love and for the wonderful things he as done for them. For he broke down their prison gates of bronze; he cut apart their bars of iron.
Psalm 107.1, 4-16

Observation
God rescues us--even from our own rebellion--when we cry out to Him.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Today's reading reminds me of God's great faithfulness and His unfailing love--how He rescues and redeems us--even from ourselves. All we have to do is to ask for His help. He steps in and saves us . . . maybe not always the way we would want Him to, but He knows what we truly need.

Today's reading also reminds me of the importance of praising God for His great love and for all that He does for me. I cannot take it for granted--or believe that I deserve to be rescued. God does it because of His love for me and His faithfulness--not because of my righteousness. Praising God in all things is so important, so why don't I do a better job of it????

Today I will remember God's faithfulness and His unfailing love and I will praise Him for all that He does for me!

Prayer
Thank You Lord for saving me--often from circumstances that I bring on myself. Thank You Lord for Your unfailing love and great faithfulness. Thank You for redeeming me! Lord, I praise You for all that You do for me--but most of all for Your unfailing love for me and Your faithfulness. I would be lost without You.

No comments: