Friday, August 1, 2008

Life Journal, August 1, 2008
Today's readings: Isaiah 65-66; Psalm 62; John 3

Celebrating Success

Scripture
Then Jesus and his disciples left Jerusalem and went into the Judean countryside. Jesus spent some time with them there, baptizing people.

At this time John the Baptist was baptizing at Aenon, near Salim, because there was plenty of water there; and people kept coming to him for baptism. (This was before John was thrown into prison.) A debate broke out between John's disciples and a certain Jew over ceremonial cleansing. So John's disciples came to him and said, "Rabbi, the man you met on the other side of the Jordan River, the one you identified as the Messiah, is also baptizing people. And everybody is going to him instead of coming to us."

John replied, "No one can receive anything unless God gives it from heaven. You yourselves know how plainly I told you, 'I am not the Messiah. I am only here to prepare the way for him.' It is the bridegroom who marries the bride, and the best man is simply glad to stand with him and hear his vows. Therefore, I am filled with joy at his success. He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less."
John 3.22-30

Observation
It's about reaching people for the Kingdom--it's not about me and my "success."

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
The world's version of success and the Kingdom version of success are very different. The world tells us that our value/success comes from "how many"--how many come to church, how many baptisms, how many . . . . how many . . . . how many.

Numbers are important--they do tell us if we are doing anything . . . at least on some levels. But, why is it so hard to see other's "success" (large numbers in church) and celebrate the fact that they are reaching people. Why am I not always filled with joy at their success? I should be if they are reaching the lost for Christ. But, I find myself asking why not me?? What am I doing wrong?? Why can't I be successful--ouch--there is that word again.

Mother Teresa once said, "I wasn't called to be successful. I was called to be faithful." I know the truth in this, but--if I am honest--it is still difficult to watch the success of others and wonder why not me.

So, today, how will I be different?? I will be who God has called me to be--doing my best to fulfill that call. I will not look at others, but at Him alone. I will not look to others for accolades. I will trust God and serve faithfully--knowing that He is the Lord of the Harvest. It is not my place to question what He does, how He does it, or who He blesses. He loves me and has called me to serve Him . . . and that is enough.

Prayer
Lord, that all sounds good, but You know it isn't easy. So, I give it to You. I look to You only. Thank You for loving me so much that You sent Your one and only Son, Jesus, to redeem me. May I faithfully live out my life in a way that demonstrates and shines with this love--Your love.

No comments: