Saturday, August 30, 2008

Life Journal, August 30, 2008
Today's readings: Ezekiel 8-11; Revelation 4

What Are We Worshiping?

Scripture
"Son of man," he [God] said, "do you see what they are doing? Do you see the detestable sins the people of Israel are committing to drive me from my Temple? . . . "

[God speaking again] ". . . For you have refused to obey my decrees and regulations; instead, you have copied the standards of the nations around you."

[Still God speaking] "And I will give them singlenss of heart and put a new spirit within them. I will take away their stony, stubborn heart and give them a tender, responsive heart, so they will obey my decrees and regulations. Then they will truly be my people, and I will be their God."
Ezekiel 8.6, 12, 19-20

Observation
We are to obey God . . . and God alone--He is our all in all.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I can read the Scripture today and shake my head and say "How could they do that?" But instead God is calling me to look inward and ask: What detestable sins are we committing in God's Temple (our bodies) and in His Church? Where do we copy the standards of the nations around us, rather than the standards of God? In what areas is my heart stony and stubborn?

Some tough questions to wrestle with today. Some of them I can answer easily (maybe a little too easily) and some of them will take some time and soul-searching. The important thing is that I don't look at them and think, glad that was for them . . . and not for me.

What do I need to change in my life today--what is God calling me to change??

Prayer
God, today Your Word is convicting--it would be easy to ignore it, seeing it for 'another time and place'--but Your Word is living and is for today. Help me to ingest it and make it part of me. Help me to wrestle with it and see what I need to change today. Lord God, I thank You for Your Word. I thank You that You do not leave me the same, but change me everyday--or at least You attempt to when I let You in. Today, continue to shape me and grow me with Your power and Your love. May I reflect You in all that I do and say!


No comments: