Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Life Journal, July 9, 2008
Today's readings: Micah 1-4; Hebrews 6

Meant For Better Things

Scripture
We are confident that you are meant for better things, things that come with salvation. For God is not unjust. He will not forget how hard you have worked for him and how you have shown your love to him by caring for other believers, as you still do. Our great desire is that you will keep on loving others as long as life lasts, in order to make certain that what you hope for will come true. Then you will not become spiritually dull and indifferent. Instead, you will follow the example of those who are going to inherit God's promises because of their faith and endurance.
Hebrews 6.8b-12

Observation
We are meant to work--serving the Lord--while here. . . and that work is loving others and sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
It is so easy to read Scripture and have different folks come to mind who need to hear this. [smile] I find myself thinking--I need to preach this--there are some folks I know who need this! But, then I hear God laughing and see Him smiling and shaking His head--yes child, this is for you. Me????

So, I have to stop and reread the Word and see what God is telling me.

It is easy to become spiritually dull and indifferent. We can be in the Word--we can be praying--but if we are not living it out everyday in a real way, then we don't produce a good crop--instead our field bears thorns and thistles and is useless. We don't see our "work" bearing fruit--so we become lukewarm. We quit trying--blaming others for our lack of enthusiasm and commitment.

We have to be intentional about not becoming spiritually dull and indifferent. It is so easy to slip into a ho-hum life. But, God did not call us to a ho-hum life. He called us to abundant life--and that only happens when we are living it fully in Him. . .loving Him with all our hearts, minds and souls and then loving others. When we do this our lives are full--full of God and there is no room for dullness or indifference.

Prayer
Father God, thank You for Your word and reminding me that I need to continue to loving others and working the field for You. There is no time for indifference or spiritual dullness. Lord, I want my life to be productive for You. Thank You for Your promises. May I be found faithful.

No comments: