Thursday, July 10, 2008

Life Journal, July 10, 2008
Today's readings: Micah 5-7; Hebrews 7

What Should I Do?

Scripture
What can we bring to the Lord? What kind of offerings should we give him? Should we bow before God with offerings of yearling calves? Should we offer him thousands of rams and ten thousand rivers of olive oil? Should we sacrifice our firstborn children to pay for our sins?

No, O people, the Lord has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you:
to do what is right, to love mercy,
and to walk humbly with your God.
Micah 6.6-8

Observation
We don't have to guess what God wants from us--He tells us what he requires of us. . . . to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with our God.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
It is so much easier when there is some specific things for us to do--offerings, sacrifices, etc. It is something we can do and get it over with--pay our "fine" and move on. We want something measurable--so we know when we have done enough.

But, that is not what God requires of us. That's why He sent His Son--was to pay the fine for my sins for me. And because of that, all He requires is that I do what is right (following Christ's example--not my own inclinations), that I love mercy (afterall, it was given freely to me), and that I walk humbly with God (that I put Him first and always point to Him--not think of myself first).

So today, I will quit "doing" and begin living the way that God requires. Today I will lean on Jesus, knowing that on my own I cannot do what is right. Today I will extend mercy to one and all, with the help of the Holy Spirit. And, today, I will make it about Him--not about me.

Prayer
Father God, thank You once again for Your Word and Your guidance. Today I want to live the way that You want me to live--to do what You require--not just what I want. Thank You for Your Holy Spirit who helps me everyday to walk with You. Thank You for the gift of Jesus and the gift of grace I receive because of Him. Today may all I do and say point only to You!

No comments: