Monday, March 3, 2008

Life Journal March 3, 2008
Today's Readings: Numbers 32, 33; Mark 10
Serving Others
Scripture
So Jesus called them together and said, "You know that in this world kings are tyrants, and officials lord it over the people beneath them. But among you it should be quite different. Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant, and whoever want to be first must be the slave of all. For even I, the Son of Man, came here not to be served but to serve others, and to give my life as a ransom for many."
Mark 10.42-45
Observation
Jesus not only talked about being a servant--He lived it out.
Application
Once again a great example of how Jesus turns our world upside down. The world would tell us that we deserve to be served. That "making it" means having more people to serve you in one way or another. All of us like to be served--to be catered to. We want our needs met. We want people to do things our way. We want our desires met. We want the world to revolve around us.
This is not an easy lesson--it makes me ask myself the question, Am I serving others--or expecting them to serve me? Do I serve God--or do I expect Him to serve me? Because, bottom line is that when I ask God to bless my ways and don't worry about His ways (especially if they are harder or not as comfortable or demand more of me than I am willing to give) I am expecting Him to serve me.
Jesus came to serve others--He demonstrated it all the time for us. He poured His very life out for us--calling us to do the same.
How will I be different today because of what I have just read? Hmmmmmm. . . . I will look for every opportunity to serve others in Jesus' name. I will seek His will and way for my life--not my own. I will serve Him without counting the cost or looking for what's in it for me.
Prayer
Father God, this is so hard to do--we want to be served--not serve. And those You call us to serve are not always those we want to serve. Lord, I want to grow and become more and more like Your Son, Jesus. I want to be the servant leader You have called me to be. I want to follow the path You have laid before me. I want to let go of all that I hold so tightly so I can hold on to You and Your ways even more. But Lord, I know I can't do this on my own. I need You to come, Lord Jesus, into my life and fill me and guide me and continue to grow me, even when it's hard. Thank You for loving me too much to leave me the same. I love You. . . . . thank You for loving me first.

No comments: