Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Life Journal March 11, 2008
Today's readings: Deuteronomy 16-18; Psalm 38; Galatians 2

Trusting in Christ

Scripture
For when I tried to keep the law, it condemned me. So I died to the law--Istopped trying to meet all its requirements--so that I might live for God.My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live,but Christ lives in me. So, I live in this earthly body by trusting in theSon of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not treat the graceof God as meaningless. For if keeping the law could make us right withGod, then there was no need for Christ to die.
Galatians 2.19-21
Observation
We are not called to live by the old law--but live in Christ.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Boundaries are not bad. They help us to know where we need to be.

Sometimes we like the old laws--they put us in control--we decide if we are going to follow them--we can keep tabs on others by whether they liveby them or not. They tell us how to dress, what to eat, what punishment people deserve if they break one of the laws. We decide which ones we think are worthy of keeping and which ones aren't. We decide who is guiltyand who isn't.

It gives us power--it gives us control.

But Jesus came and turned things upside down. He told us that we had two commandments to follow: Love the Lord your God with all your heart, withall your mind, and with all your strength and to love our neighbor asourself. Jesus told us that ALL the laws were wrapped up in these two commandments. That if we lived these two out--then we would be doing what the law says.The problem with these two commandments is that they aren't as black and white as the law. They don't spell things out as clearly. What does itlook like to love God that way? What does it look like to love ourneighbor as ourselves? It can look very different for each one of us. ..so how are we to know if everyone else is doing what they should?

The only person we can be concerned about is ourselves. Have I died to myself? Can others see that Christ lives in me? Does grace reign in my life? Do I extend God's grace to others? God's Word tells us we cannot serve two masters. We cannot serve the law and live by God's gift of grace.Today may I live out God's Word: It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

May it be evident to all--but most of all to my God.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, once again I give myself to You. Once again I die tomyself so Christ can live in me. Help me to see others through Your eyes and not judge them by my standards. May I extend grace rather than judgment. May I extend love instead of laws. Live in me, reign in me, rulemy life. May I never take for granted the work that Christ did for me on the cross.

No comments: