Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Life Journal March 4, 2008
Today's readings: Numbers 34-36; Mark 11

Faith Enough

Scripture
Then Jesus said to the disciples, "Have faith in God. I assure you that you can say to this mountain, 'May God lift you up and throw you into the sea,' and your command will be obeyed. All that's required is that you really believe and do not doubt in your heart. Listen to me! You can pray for anything, and if you believe, you will have it. But when you are praying, first forgive anyone you are holding a grudge against, so that your Father in heaven will forgive your sins, too."
Mark 11.22-26

Observation
With faith anything is possible--for it changes us.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I just read?)
It just hit me--this isn't about moving mountains as much as it is about having the kind of faith that can. It's not about making a list of things we want and asking God to fill it--it's about having the kind of faith where our desires match His--so our requests are not our list but His.

If we have the kind of faith that Jesus is talking about here--it changes us--which in turn changes everything else in our lives.

It's about having faith enough to leave everything in God's hands--and seeing His answers to prayer as ours. Our prayers are shaped by Him.

If we "really believe and do not doubt in our heart" then our hearts have become one with His and our faith is so focused on Him that His will and ours becomes one and the same.

When we don't see our prayers answered--we often feel like we have not had enough faith and/or must have allowed some doubt to come into our hearts. . . .and we get side-tracked by our guilt and our "if only's". If only I would have had more faith. If only I hadn't doubted. But, that's not really it. . . .not really.

How much is faith enough? I'm not sure . . . but I am on a journey to learn and grow into it!

Prayer
Father God, this is some hard Scripture. It sounds simple enough--but it's not. If I don't see prayers answered--my way--then I think that my faith isn't strong enough or I must have doubted in my heart. How much faith is enough? How do I get rid of the doubt in my heart? Lord, help me.. . . change me. Thanks for letting me wrestle with this. I know You are growing me. . . . I feel the growing pains. Thank you for not letting me remain the same.

No comments: