Friday, May 9, 2008

Life Journal May 9, 2008
Today's readings: 2 Samuel17; Psalm 71; Matthew 26

Just Like Pete

Scripture
On the way, Jesus told them, "Tonight all of you will desert me. For the Scriptures say,

'God will strike the Shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.'

But after I have been raised from the dead, I will go ahead of you to Galilee and meet you there."

Peter declared, "Even if everyone else deserts you, I will never desert you."

Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, Peter--this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know me."

"No!" Peter insisted. "Even if I have to die with you, I will never deny you!" And all the other disciples vowed the same.
Matthew 26.31-35

Observation
Even the disciples deserted and denied Jesus.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Jesus predicts that Pete will desert him--Peter claims that there is no way. If we read verse 56 we see that "all the disciples deserted him and fled." And then a little further we read where Pete denies Jesus three times--just like Jesus predicted (verses 69-75).

I see myself in Pete. I proclaim loudly that I will never deny or leave Christ . . . . yet . . . . .I do, over and over. I deny Him everytime I doubt Him. I leave Him every time I choose to go my own way rather than His. I deny Him every time I turn my back on someone with a need--afterall, I can't help them all. I leave Him everytime I walk by a homeless person. I share the Good News within the safety of the Church--but do people on the outside know that I even know Him--let alone serve Him?

I look at Pete and think--not me--yet the reflection of myself is so clear--so glaring.

So, how will I be different today??? By looking and listening with my heart--by trusting God more and more, no matter how things looks--by being the person God has called me to be. And when I fail. . . . when I fall--I will, like Pete, weep bitterly and confess and turn and go the other direction--back toward the One who loves me.

Prayer
Father God, forgive me for all the times I desert You, walk away from You, deny You. Work in me today--change me--help me to be the person You have called me to be.

No comments: