Friday, May 2, 2008

Life Journal May 2, 2008
Today's readings: 1 Chronicles 16; Psalm 106; Matthew 19

Where Is My Treasure?

Scripture
Someone came to Jesus with this question: "Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?"

"Why ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. But to answer your question--if you want to receive eternal life, keep the commandments."

"Which ones?" the man asked.

And Jesus replied: "You must not murder. You must not commit adultery. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. Honor your father and mother. Love your neighbor as yourself."

"I've obeyed all these commandments," the young man replied. "What else must I do?"

Jesus told him, "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

But when the young man heard this, he went away sad, for he had many possessions.
Matthew 19.16-22

Observation
To follow Jesus, we must be willing to give up everything and anything that would come between us and Him.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
We all like to know exactly what we need to do to be a follower of Christ--we like to have it all spelled out--clearly, precisely--that way we won't do anymore than necessary--and yet we are sure we are "covered" because we have done all that is "required." We live so much of life this way.

So, what is required of me--to give up anything that stands in my way of serving God/following Christ with my all. It can be money, possessions, traditions, religion, people . . . whatever gets in my way of focusing only on Jesus. As long as I have other things that are too important for me to let go of--they will stand in the way of me giving myself completely to God.

So, what stands in my way--what "things" keep me from following Him and giving myself completely to Him?? My self-centeredness. . . me and what makes me happy. I like things my way--sometimes even using God to justify my actions/thoughts/desires. But, bottom line is--I am more concerned about what makes me happy--than what makes God happy. I will give up "things" to a certain extent, but then draw the line. . . not willing to go any further.

So, today--how will I be different? Changing my attitude is a big part--and, dying to myself, yet again. I have to make the decision--everyday--what is most important--giving it all to God and finding life--or holding on tightly to what is truly unimportant and losing my life. Today, I choose to lay it all aside and follow Christ.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I am so slow to learn and to follow what You tell me--forgive me for clinging to life here. Forgive me for not putting You first in all areas of my life. Help me to learn and to lay it all aside for You. Help me to choose life. Help me to see what is truly important--not getting my way, but doing it Your way. Lord, I want to follow You . . . no matter the cost. I trust that You will take care of me. I trust that You love me. Lord, today, help me to lay aside my selfish ambitions and take on the life You have called me to. Your Word says that "Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with You, God, everything is possible." It is only possible with You. Thank You for making it possible.

No comments: