Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Life Journal May 7, 2008
Today's readings: 2 Samuel 13, 14; Matthew 24

Keeping Watch

Scripture
[Jesus speaking] "However, no one know the day or hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows. . . .

"So, you, too, must keep watch! For you don't know what day your Lord is coming."
Matthew 24.36, 42

Observation
No one, but God, knows when Christ will return--so we must always be ready.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Matthew 24 is Jesus' reply to his disciples when they ask Him: "What sign will signal your return and the end of the world?" Jesus then goes on to tell the things to watch for--here are just a few:
"may will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Messiah.' They will deceive many."
"You will hear of wars and threats of wars. . . "
"There will be famines and earthquakes . . . "

All of these things have already taken place. So what does that tell us?? That we need to live as if Jesus were coming back today. Not become complacent thinking it isn't going to happen anytime soon. We get lulled into a sense of "everydayness"--that it isn't going to happen today. But we don't know.

So, today, I need to live my life as if Christ is returning today. How will that be different from any other day? Will it cause me to live boldly? To pursue Kingdom issues--rather than the mundane? To share the Gospel more freely? To love more? To not waste a minute with whining or complaining or negativity? Am I ready if Christ returns today?

The Word reminds me that I have no time to waste--I need to make it all count.

Prayer
Lord, come quickly!

No comments: