Monday, May 5, 2008

Life Journal May 5, 2008
Today's readings: 2 Samuel 10; 1 Chronicles 20; Psalm 20; Matthew 22

The Most Important Commandment

Scripture
But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees with his reply, they met together to question him again. One of them, an expert in religious law, tried to trap him with this question: "Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?"

Jesus replied, "You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: Love your neighbor as yourself. The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments."
Matthew 22.34-40

Observation
If we obey the two most important commandments--loving God and loving others--we will not break God's laws.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Most of us who have been around the church much are familiar with the "Great Commandment"--love God and love others. Sounds easy enough. We hear it and think, 'okay, easy enough--I can do that.' But, we don't live it out then.

Loving God with all our heart, with all our soul and all our mind--means setting aside ourselves--not living a self-centered life. It means putting God first in all things. It means thinking of Him first. It means dying to myself--pouring myself out for God. It means giving my all, holding nothing back, for God. I don't think many of us do that--I know I don't (even though I would like others to think I do).

Loving others as we love ourself. Again, we have to set aside ourselves and our desires. It means putting others ahead of ourselves. Loving others just as God loves them--flaws and all.

It's funny, these two commandments seem so easy--and we like to think that we live this way--but we are so far from it. We are self-centered, loving God and others just enough that we can feel good about ourselves (once again self-focused!).

So, how will I be different today? I'm not sure. I want to be different, I want to change, I want to love God and others more. But, it takes more than words. . . . words are easy. . . .it takes me being willing to open myself up more to God, dying a little more to self, to not be so self-centered, to not think of myself first--but to think of God first. I want to love God with my whole being, with all that I am, but I remain self-centered. I want to love others as I love myself, but instead I judge, lose patience, and find myself critical of others.

There is only one way I can be different today because of what I have just read--I have to give another piece of myself to God . . . . and give it, and give it, and give it, until finally I don't take it back anymore. I have to ask Him to do the hard and painful work in my life that it takes for me to have room for more of Him. I have to be willing to die a little more today, so that He can live in me more and more. And, I have to live it out--treating others with the love and respect that I want, whether I get it or not.

Today, hour-by-hour, moment-by-moment, I have to turn my life over to God, trusting Him . . . and Him alone . . . . to be in charge of my life. Today, I have to love Him more than I love myself. And in doing so, I then walk in the new freedom that comes from Him reigning in my life.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I confess today that I don't love You as much as I should--I love You, but not to the point of true sacrifice. I love You to the point that it looks good, but doesn't require true sacrifice on my part. I love You as long as the cost is something that I am willing to pay......so there is truly very little cost. You gave Your Son, Jesus Christ, for me--You poured out Your love and Your heart for me--and this is how I say thanks--I withhold my love, my devotion, my sacrifice. Forgive me Father. I don't want to live that way--I want to belong to You completely. I know that means I have to die to myself and my wants and my desires--I cannot do it on my own--only with Your help and the work of Your Holy Spirit in my life can I be the person You want me to be. Fill me, Lord, with Your Holy Spirit. Fill me with Your love. Take my life. . . . and keep it. And when I try to take it back, don't let me. Lord, I want my life to completely reflect You. I don't want to settle--I want to serve You. Lord, help me--grow me--fill me--take me, I am Yours. Today may I love You more and demonstrate it by loving others.

No comments: