Thursday, July 23, 2009

Life Journal, July 23, 2009
Today's readings: 2 Kings 20; Isaiah 38, 39; Psalm 75; 1 Peter 2

A Chosen People

Scripture
For you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God's very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into the wonderful light.
1 Peter 2.9

Observation
Because of God's goodness [not our own] we are His . . . chosen by Him to be His very own possession . . . and we are to share what God has done in our lives with others.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I belong to God--not because of my own goodness--but because of His. And I am to share what He has done for me with others. I cannot just take it for granted. . .I am to show others God's goodness.

But that means that I have to believe that God is good.

There is a responsive saying that is often used in churches--someone says, "God is good" and the response is "All the time"--then in response to that they say, "All the time"--to which the response is "God is good."

Do I really believe God is good? Many people use the excuse that the don't believe in God because of all the pain and suffering in the world. They go on to say that if there was a God and if He was loving and good--there would be no pain or suffering, no sickness or violence . . . nothing bad. They need "someone" to blame, so they blame God.

A pat answer won't work--something I just say because it is the right thing to say. I must believe that God is good if I am going to show His goodness to others. That means that no matter what happens in my life . . . the bad along with the good . . . I must trust that God is with me and that He can and will bring something good out of it.

And to trust God I must believe that He really does love me. . .no matter what I feel. Feelings can be deceptive--but God isn't--His word tells me He is faithful, trustworthy, and loves me with an unfailing love.

So, today, I will cling to the truths that I know and I will share my experiences of God's goodness, my journey from darkness into His marvelous light.

Prayer
Father God, thank You for Your patience with me, once again, as I wrestle with Your Word. Lord, today may I live a life that reflects Your goodness. Today may I help to light the path and lead someone out of darkness and into Your marvelous light. Thank You that I am one of Your chosen people. May I live a life of boldness and power, of love and grace and mercy, a life that clearly reflects You.

No comments: