Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Life Journal, July 29, 2009
Today's readings: Isaiah 57-59; Psalms 103; 2 Peter 3

Fasting?

Scripture
"Is this what you call fasting? Do you really think this will please the Lord?

"No, this is the kind of fasting I want:
Free those who are wrongly imprisoned; lighten the burden of those who work for you.
Let the oppressed go free, and remove the chains that bind people.
Share your food with the hungry, and give shelter to the homeless.
Give clothes to those who need them, and do not hide from relatives who need your help.

"Then your salvation will come like the dawn, and your wounds will quickly heal.
Your godliness will lead you forward, and the glory of the Lord will protect you from behind.
Then when you call, the Lord will answer.
'Yes, I am here.' He will quickly reply.

"Remove the heavy yoke of oppression.
Stop pointing your finger and spreading vicious rumors!
Feed the hungry, and help those in trouble.
Then your light will shine out from the darkness,
and the darkness around you will be as bright as noon.
The Lord will guide you continually, giving you water when you are dry and restoring your strength.
You will be like a well-watered garden, like an ever-flowing spring."

Isaiah 58.5-11

Observation
Helping the oppressed and poor pleases God and we receive His blessings.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I like to think that I am active when it comes to social justice issues. But, it is just a drop in the bucket. We are called to do so much more. I do enough to "feel good" about myself--I give here, help there. There are so many needs . . .

If I am doing only what I am comfortable with doing, then I am not doing enough. If I am to "fast" in this manner, then I need to be uncomfortable--just as when we fast from food we get hungry, which makes us uncomfortable. I need to do more. I need to "give up" some things in my life so that others can have freedom, food, housing, clothing.

Today, I will see what opportunities or doors God is putting in front of me to make a difference in the lives of others. Today I will fast from my wants so others might have what they need.

Prayer
Thank You, Lord, for Your word today. Open my eyes and my heart to the struggles of those around me. Help me to see others with Your eyes and give me wisdom in how to best help. Lord, I want to make a difference in someone's life today--lead me, show me, give me wisdom. Thank You Lord. May my "fasting" today be pleasing and acceptable to You.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for info, I am always looking for something interesting on the Internet, i want to send
photos for your blog