Friday, July 31, 2009

Life Journal, July 31, 2009
Today's readings: Isaiah 63,64; Psalm 107; John 2

A Reminder

Scripture
"It is I, the Lord, announcing your salvation!
It is I, the Lord, who has the power to save!"
Isaiah 63.1b

Observation
ONLY God has the power to save.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I have no power to save anyone--let alone myself. An important reminder. It's amazing at how hard I work to save those I care about (and myself) from problems, pain, natural consequences. I don't want them (or me) to have to suffer . . . so I try to save us all. And I can't. I fail miserably.

I am not promised a life free from suffering, pain, trials, problems--actually quite the opposite. Afterall, Jesus told us, "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me." [Mark 8.34] When I want a life free from problems, pain and suffering--I am being selfish. To be a follower of Christ, I must be willing to lay down my life--my wants, my desires--pick up the cross and follow Christ, wherever it leads. And that doesn't necessarily mean a rose covered path.

Again, that brings me back to "Do I trust God enough to do this?" Which leads me back to something else that I have been wrestling with--if I don't trust God then I don't really believe that He loves me. If I truly trust God--and really believe that He loves me--then I am willing to let go of my life and allow Him complete control--knowing that no matter how things may appear or what happens--He loves me and He will take care of me and He will never leave me alone. It means trusting Him to save me--no matter what that might look like (and it probably won't look anything like I would like for it to).

God alone has the power to save me. I can trust Him and His love for me.

"Can anything ever separate me from Christ's love? Does it mean he no longer loves me if I have trouble or calamity, or am persecuted, or hungry or destitute, or in danger, or threated with death? No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is mine through Christ, who loves me.

"And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate me from God's love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither my fears for today nor my worries about tomorrow--not even the power of hell can separate me from God's love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below--indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate me from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord." [Romans 8.35,37-39--personalized]

Prayer
Thank You Lord God, for Your love and Your gift of salvation. Thank You that I can trust You--and thank You for being patient when I struggle with trusting You and believing that You could really love me. Help me to look only to You and depend only on You for my salvation. You alone have the power to save me . . . from myself.

No comments: