Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Life Journal, July 28, 2009
Today's readings: Isaiah 53-56; 2 Peter 2

Slave To What Controls Me

Scripture
For you are a slave to whatever controls you. 2 Peter 2.19b

Observation
I am a slave to those things that I allow to control me.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
What do I allow to control me? People. I give others too much power/control in my life. And, in doing so, I am not true to God or myself.

Jesus said, ". . . He [God] has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released, . . ." [Luke 4.18] I do not need to be held captive by those I serve. . . .or anyone else.

So, why do I allow it? Because my trust is misplaced. Because I am fearful of what others will think. Because I am tired of the battles over the unimportant. Because I have lost my focus/my calling.

The reason(s) really don't matter--what matters is that I become a slave to Christ--not to people. I only allow God/Christ/Holy Spirit to control my life.

When did I allow it to happen? I think when I decided that sometimes it's easier not to "fight" those who want to be in control--because sometimes the fight gets old, I get tired, I see no progress, and I give up and give in. But, that's not what I am called to do. I am called to stand firmly planted in God and to be bold and to fight the good fight.

So how will I be different today? I will allow God to have control in my life rather than others. I will listen to God's voice rather than the "shouts" of those who want to control. I will remember Who is truly in control and intentionally place my trust and hope in Him. I will allow God to fight my battles.

Prayer
Father God, thank You for Your word today and the reflection of my self that I saw in it. Lord, You are my Master--I only want to serve You. Help me to stand firm in You. Help me to trust in You and You alone. Thank You for freeing me. Thank You for loving me. Thank You for shining Your Light on this area of my life today and not leaving me the same.

No comments: