Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Life Journal, May 20, 2009
Today's readings: 1 Kings 6; 2 Chronicles 3; Psalms 97; Romans 1

Answered Prayer

Scripture
One of the things I always pray for is the opportunity, God willing, to come at last to see you. For I long to visit you so I can bring you some spiritual gift that will help you grow strong in the Lord. When we get together, I want to encourage you in your faith, but I also want to be encouraged by yours.
Romans 1.10-12

Observation
Paul prayed for the opportunity to come and see the Roman people.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
We learn about Paul's prayer being answered in Acts 28.16. Paul arrives in Rome--as a prisoner . . .after being arrested, slapped in the face, shipwrecked, and bitten by a poisonous snake. Not exactly the type of answer to prayer I would be looking for.

God answered Paul's prayer--but not by just letting him go to Rome. There was a series of events--seemingly negative--that got him there. But, I don't hear Paul complaining about them.

Paul's journey to Rome reminds me that God answers prayer--just not always the way I would like for Him to. Sometimes it is not an easy journey to the answer. But Paul never gives up--he never gives in--he stays in the moment--always looking for a way to serve God and bring Him glory and honor.

Even when the journey gets difficult, I need to keep my focus on God and trust that He is answering my prayers--whether it looks like it or not--or whether it feels like it at the time. I need to be alert and aware in the moment--taking life as it comes, making the most of today for the Kingdom, trusting that God is at work in me and through me--answering my prayers.

Prayer
God, this is a really hard lesson. I like the easy road . . . the easy answer to prayers. Forgive me for my lack of patience, my lack of faith and trust. Forgive me for wanting a quick fix. Give me wisdom for each day and help me to focus on the day at hand--looking for all the opportunities You give me to serve You, worship You, thank You, love You, and walk with You. Thank You for never giving up on me--even when I give up on myself. Thank You for loving me . . . always.

1 comment:

Symon said...

Hi there. I'm Symon from New Zealand. I noticed one of your interests was 'Ted Dekker'. Please take the time to check out our Christian Fiction Review Blog: Flannelgraph. If you become a follower, you will be into win a free book/books each month. God bless you!