Friday, May 1, 2009

Life Journal, May 1, 2009
Today's readings: 1 Chronicles 14, 15; Psalm 132; Matthew 18

Asking God

Scripture
So David asked God, "Should I go out to fight the Philistines? Will you hand them over to me?"

The Lord replied, "Yes, go ahead. I will hand them over to you."
1 Chronicles 14.10

And once again David asked God what to do. "Do not attack them straight on," God replied. "Instead, circle around behind and attack them near the poplar trees. When you hear a sound like marching feet in the tops of the poplar trees, go out and attack! That will be the signal that God is moving ahead of you to strike down the Philistine army." So David did what God commanded, . . .
1 Chronicles 14.14-16

"Because you Levites did not carry the Ark the first time, the anger of the Lord our God burst out against us. We failed to ask God how to move it properly."
1 Chronicles 15.13

Observation
David asked God for guidance and God gave him clear instructions.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I just read?)
How often to I ask God for direction and actually hear Him? When I read these verses I found myself jealous that God spoke so clearly to David--why doesn't He speak to me that way?

Maybe I don't ask and really expect to hear from God. . .Maybe I ask God and then move on too quickly or I am too busy to hear or I just want Him to bless my plans, rather than hear from Him and do what He wants.

David expected to hear from God and didn't do anything until he did. In 1 Chronicles 15, he realizes when he didn't bother asking God and there was a consequence because of it [1 Chonricles 13.9-10].

So, how will I be different today? Stopping and asking and waiting and listening and expecting to hear from God. God is willing--but I must be a willing vessel.

Prayer
Lord, I am sorry that I get ahead of You, that I don't ask You--or when I do, I move ahead so quickly that I don't wait for Your answer. Forgive me. Speak to me, just as You did David. You are the same God, there is none like You. You came to be in relationship with me. You want to be in relationship with me. You want to guide me and lead me--give me wisdom so I can be used by You. Thank You for being so patient with me. Thank You for loving me so much.

No comments: