Friday, May 8, 2009

Life Journal, May 8, 2009
Today's readings: 2 Samuel 15, 16; Psalm 32; Matthew 25

The Joy of Confession

Scripture
Oh, what joy for those
whose disobedience is forgiven,
whose sin is put out of sight!
Yes, what joy for those
whose record the Lord has cleared of guilt,
whose lives are lived in complete honesty!

When I refused to confess my sin,
my body wasted away,
and I groaned all day long.
Day and night your hand of discipline was heavy on me.
My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat.

Finally, I confessed all my sins to you
and stopped trying to hide my guilt.
I said to myself, "I will confess my rebellion to the Lord."
And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone!
Psalm 32.1-5

Observation
There is freedom and healing when we confess our sins.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
So true--when I carry my sin around with me, I get weighted down--it's difficult to function. It seems to grow. And it's so easy to get rid of--all I have to do is confess it to God! And He is faithful to forgive. [If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. 1 John 1.8-9]

Sometimes I am so slow to confess my sin--do I think by not confessing it God won't see it? Do I think I don't need to confess it? What we forget is that confession is for us--it opens our eyes, it humbles us, it frees us from the hold of sin in our lives.

Today, I will examine my life and ask God to show me any unconfessed sin in it. Then I will spend time with Him, confessing and then praising Him for His faithfulness in forgiving me through Jesus.

Prayer
Father God, I confess that I don't always confess my sins as I should. Forgive me. Today, Lord God, shine Your light on all darkness in my life. Help me to recognize the sin that separates us, that holds me back from me being the person you want me to be. Thank You for sending Jesus to pay for my sins--without His sacrifice I could not come before You. Thank You for forgiving my sins and removing those burdens from me. Thank You for Your discipline--even when I fight against it--You love me too much to allow me to remain as I am. It is in the name of my Savior I pray this . . .

No comments: