Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Life Journal, May 12, 2009
Today's readings: 2 Samuel 21-23; 1 Thessalonians 1

Protection

Scripture
Once again the Philistines were at war with Israel. And when David and his men were in the thick of battle, David became weak and exhausted. Ishbi-benob was a descendant of the giants; his bronze spearhead weighed more than seven pounds, and he was armed with a new sword. He had cornered David and was about to kill him. But Abishai son of Zeruiah came to David's rescue and killed the Philistine. Then David's men declared, "You are not going out to battle with us again! Why risk snuffing out the light of Israel?"
2 Samuel 21.15-17

Observation
David had men who cared for his welfare and had his back.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Reading these Scriptures today made me appreciate all the more those who "have my back" and walk with me in the journey God has me on--my Leadership Team. Sometimes we take the people God gives us, to walk and work with us and what they do for us, for granted. And sometimes we push back--wanting to prove that we are strong and can do it ourselves--when we don't have to . . . and shouldn't.

I am blessed to have this group to walk into battle with. They are willing to step in and fight for me when I can't (and shouldn't) do it by myself. They set a guard around me, protecting me and encouraging me.

I don't have 30 warriors--but I do have four who are faithful to do battle on my behalf and make the journey with me.

Prayer
Father God, thank You for reminding me that I am not alone in the battle. That You are with me and You have sent others to travel with me and fight with me . . . and for me. May I never take them for granted. Bless them Lord in a special way. Protect them. Strengthen them. Heal them. Give them wisdom. Give them vision for Your church. Renew them and refresh them. When they are weary or weak or tired of the battle, may they lean into Your strength, Your power, Your might for the journey. Lord, thank You for Jim, Rex, Cindy and Ron. May they experience Your love for them in a special way today. Thank You for my friends and co-workers in Christ.

No comments: