Friday, August 31, 2007

Life Journal August 31, 2007
Today's readings: Ezekiel 12-15; Revelation 5

Heavenly Worship
Topic: Worship
Scripture
And when he [the Lamb of God] took the scroll, the four living beings and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp, and they held gold bowls filled with incense, which are the prayers of God's people. And they sang a new song with these words.
"You are worthy to take the scroll
and break its seals and open it.
For you were slaughtered, and your blood
has ransomed people for God
from every tribe and language and
people and nation.
And you have cause them to become
a Kingdom of priests for our God.
And they will reign on the earth."
Then I looked again, and I heard the voices of thousands and millions of angels around the throne and of the living beings and the elders. And they sang in a mighty chorus:
"Worthy is the Lamb who was slaughtered--
to receive power and riches
and wisdom and strength
and honor and glory and blessing."
And then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea. They sang:
"Blessing and honor and glory and power
belong to the One sitting on the throne
and to the Lamb forever and ever."
And the four living beings said, "Amen!" And the twenty-four elders fell down and worshiped the Lamb.
Revelation 5. 8-14 (NLT)
Observation
True worship--our only worship--belongs ONLY to "the One sitting on the throne and to the Lamb."
Application
These Scriptures paint an amazing picture of worship. . . .Heaven-style. I cannot imagine what it will be like to have my entire focus on worshiping God and Christ. Nothing else will matter. No idols will get in my way. No other thoughts will flood my mind. I was created for worship and will live that out in Heaven in an amazing way.
The Ezekiel reading today, though, reminds us of how quickly we are to worship other things--idols--now. Instead of putting our full focus on God while we are here on earth, we worship everything else. We even worship our style of worship. Once again I have to stop and take inventory of the idols in my life. What am I putting before God? What are my worship priorities? On Sunday mornings (or any time), do I focus only on worshiping God--or on all that is going on around me? [who is saying what to whom, those who choose to not worship outwardly, those who speak, those who don't speak, my message, other's responses . . . the list goes on and on and on]
I was created for one thing--to be in relationship with God. To love Him. To demonstrate my love for Him by worshiping Him--not just for an hour on Sunday morning but 24/7. If I did that . . . if we all did that . . . how different would the world look today? It might give us a glimpse of heaven. [smile]
Prayer
Father God and Holy Lamb of God, I want to place You at the center of my thoughts and all I do. I want to love you and worship You through my every word, thought, and action. But, I know that I am a long way from that. I look forward to the day, when in Heaven there will be nothing else to get in my way! But, may I learn to be more of a worshiper every day. amen

No comments: