Monday, August 6, 2007

Life Journal August 6, 2007
Today's readings: Habakkuk 1-3; John 8



Rejoice!
Topic: Discipleship

Scripture
"Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vine; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation. The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He will make me as surefooted as a deer and bring me safely over the mountains.

Habakkuk 3.17-19 (NLT)


Observation
No matter what happens--the Lord is enough.


Application (How will I be different today because of what I just read?)
"Even though"--two really powerful words. . . . especially when followed with "yet." In these verses, Habakkuk basically says that even if everything is taken away--even though it is all gone. . . . yet he will rejoice in the Lord!

It is not easy to rejoice and be joyful through the "even thoughs" of life. It is then that I cry out to God, questioning where He is . . . . why isn't He doing something about my circumstances. I don't understand how He could allow bad things to happen to me. It is easy to turn inward and focus on myself.

Habakkuk's prayer song reminds me that even if I lose everything--that I still have much to be joyful about--I still have my salvation in the Lord. I still have my strength that comes from God alone. And that should be enough--for it is all that matters.

Not how the world thinks. But, praise God, my salvation is not of this world. My salvation is not dependent on what I have--but rather, in whom I believe.

The Scripture today reminds us that no matter what life throws at us--we have much to rejoice in and much to be thankful for.


Prayer
Lord God, even though my world sometimes appears to be falling apart--yet, I will rejoice in You! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! You, O Sovereign Lord, are my strength. Help me to remember that the "even though's" of life don't really matter. You alone are all that is important. Thank You for Your love and salvation and strength. In Jesus name I pray, amen.

No comments: