Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Life Journal August 7, 2007
Today's readings: Zephaniah 1-3; John 9



Born Blind
Topic: Disicpleship


Scripture
As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man who had been blind from birth. "Teacher," his disciples asked him, "why was this man born blind? Was it a result of his own sins or those of his parents?"

"It was not because of his sins or his parent's sins," Jesus answered. He was born blind so the power of God could be seen in him. All of us must quickly carry out the tasks assigned us by the one who sent me, because there is little time left before the night falls and all work comes to an end. But while I am still here in the world, I am the light of the world."

Then he spit on the ground, made mud with the saliva, and smoothed the mud over the blind man's eyes. He told him, "Go and wask in the pool of Siloam." So the man went and washed, and came back seeing!

John 9.1-7 (NLT)

Observation
Often those things that we see in our lives as handicaps are actually meant to bring glory to God. God can use everyone--no matter what shape we are in--to demonstrate His power and to accomplish His mission.

Application
So often I use the excuse that I can't do something because of my "handicaps." I allow the enemy to convice me that God couldn't use me--and I become powerless.

God uses my weaknesses--my handicaps--"so the power of God" can be seen in me. The weaker I become the more of God others will see in me.

Paul writes to the Corinthians, So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may work through me. Since I know it is all for Christ's good, I am quite content with my weaknesses and with insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." [2 Corinthians 12.8b-10]

The enemy would tell me that if God really loved me, really cared about me, I wouldn't have any problems. When in truth, the more problems I have, the more I rely on Him--and the more I rely on Him, the more others will see of Him in my life.

You see the enemy, Satan, wants me to believe that I am powerless so that I won't carry out the tasks that God assigns to me. Time is short--God has work for me to do. If I sit around and whine and complain about how I can't do it because of my weaknesses--then there are folks that might not hear the Truth . . . . . the Good News, before darkness falls.

Jesus is the Light of the world and He has called me to use me as a carrier of the Light. The Light is not me--but it lives in me because Christ lives in me through the Holy Spirit.

It is time for me to set aside my excuses and to embrace my weaknesses with joy--"For when I am weak, then I am strong!"

Prayer
Lord God, please fill me with Your Holy Spirit and with Your Light. May I become less and less as you fill me more and more. Lord, I am weak--You alone are my strength. May I walk and serve in Your Light and Your strength. Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! This helped a bunch! I've read a few
rather confusing websites lately, this cleared up a lot confusion I had.

Anonymous said...

Thanks! This helped a bunch! I've read a few
rather confusing sites lately, this cleared up a lot confusion I had.