Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Life Journal August 8, 2007

Today's readings: Jeremiah 1,2; John 10



Chosing


Scripture
The Lord gave me a message. He said, "I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my spokesman to the world."

"O Sovereign Lord," I said, "I can't speak for you! I'm too young!"

"Don't say that," the Lord replied, "for you must go wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you. And don't be afraid of the people, for I will be with you and take care of you. I, the Lord, have spoken!"

Then the Lord touched my mouth and said, "See, I have put my words in your mouth!"

Jeremiah 1.5-9 (NLT)

Observation
God knows each of us intimately and calls us to service.


Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I believe that the words in Jeremiah are for me, just as they are for everyone. As I read God's word to Jeremiah, I can hear Him saying it to me. It is an amazing thing for me to think that God knew me before I was formed--that He set me apart to serve Him.

But, what excuses, like Jeremiah, do I use? "O Sovereign Lord, I can't speak for you! I'm too _____________!" I can fill in the blank with many different things. Reasons and excuses why I certainly can't do what He has called me to do. Jeremiah said he was too young. Am I too old? My excuses for not doing what God calls me to do are often numerous.

While God sets me apart to serve Him--I am still given a choice. I can still say "no." Or, I can say "yes!" and be the servant He has called me to be.

If I say "yes!" to God, I can trust that He will do His part. That doesn't mean that it will be easy, that the message will be one that everyone will want to hear, that my life will be without problems. On the contrary . . . I can count on it being just the opposite. But, at the same time, I will have a sense of being faithful to what the Father has called me to do. I can rest in the assurance that I am not alone. I can live the life that I was created for--serving my Father . . . wherever He sends me and doing whatever He commands.

Prayer
Father, I am amazed that You would set me apart and appoint me as Your spokesman to the world. May I be found willing, faithful, and passionate as I share the Good News of Jesus Christ wherever You put me. Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Drummer Chris said...

These journals are awesome, I recognized the SOAP on your blog. I'm gonna put a listing on my blog of other users I find that post their Life Journal entries.