Sunday, July 15, 2007

Life Journal 15 July 2007
Today's Readings: Isaiah 22-24; Hebrews 12

Discipline In Love
Topic: Growth
Scripture
And have you entirely forgotten the encouraging words
God spoke to you, his children? He said,
"My child, don't ignore it when the Lord disciplines you,
and don't be discouraged when he corrects you.
For the Lord disciplines those he love,
and he punishes those he accepts as his children."
As you endure this divine discipline,
remember that God is treating you as his own children.
Hebrews 12.5-7 (NLT)
Observation
We are God's children--and as with any child, we need to be disciplined. It is not discipline that is done out of anger, but out of a parent's love for their child--to teach us, mold us, grow us to be more and more like Jesus.
Application
As adults we don't like to be disciplined. We seem to think that discipline should only be for children. And yet, we act as children so often--demanding our own way, whining, throwing temper tantrums, and being disobedient. If God, our heavenly Father, let us go our own way, we would soon be out of control and lost. Allowing a child to be willful and to do whatever they want is not love. Love guides, protects, and disciplines.
It is not easy for me to watch my grandchildren being disciplined. And yet, I know that it is for their own good--so I keep quiet. And then I see the benefits of the discipline--they are a joy to be around--well behaved, good manners, thoughtful and considerate. When I see children who are not disciplined--I find that I am even more thankful that my daughter and son-in-law love them enough to help them become what God wants them to be.
While I don't always like it, I am glad that God loves me enough to discipline me. I want to grow and be the person he wants me to be--and I know I cannot do it on my own. I love being a child of the King!
Prayer
Father, thank You for loving me enough to discipline me. I pray that I would learn and grow from it. I know that I am sometimes rebellious, demanding my own way--thank You for saying no to me. Guide me, teach me, grow me into Your child--bringing a smile to Your face! In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments: