Tuesday, April 6, 2010

April 6, 2010
Today's reading: Deuteronomy 29.1-30.20; Luke 11.37-12.7; Psalm 78.1-31; Proverbs 12.19-20

A Message for Today

Scripture
And all the surrounding nations will ask, "Why has the Lord done this to this land? Why was he so angry?"

And the answer will be, "This happened because the people of the land abandoned the covenant that the Lord, the God of their ancestors, made with them when he brought them out of the land of Egypt. Instead, they turned away to serve and worship gods they had not known before, gods that were not from the Lord."
Deuteronomy 29.24-26

Observation
There are consequences when we turn away from God--whether it is individually or as a nation.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
The Scripture today underscores the reason why our country is in the shape it is in. We have turned away from God. We think we can do it on our own--that we don't need Him. We worship and serve other gods.

What are the personal implications to the reading today? What other gods do I serve and worship--what gets in the way of my service and worship of my God??

The Good News is found beginning in Deuteronomy 30.1: In the future, when you experience all these blessings and curses I have listed for you, and when you are living among the nations to which the Lord your God has exiled you, take to heart all these instructions. If at that time you and your children return to the Lord your God, and if you obey with all your heart and all your soul all the commands I have given you today, then the Lord your God will restore your fortunes. He will have mercy on you and gather you back from all the nations where he has scattered you." (emphasis mine)

Today may I turn my heart toward home--toward God. May I love Him, and Him alone, with all my heart, all my strength, all my mind, all my soul--and love my neighbor as myself.

Prayer
Father God, forgive me for turning away from you. May my service and worship be to You and You alone. Help me to see others through Your eyes and give me Your love for others. And, Lord, may our nation return to You. We have moved so far away. May I do my part to point us back in the right direction.

No comments: