Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Life Journal, January 19, 2010
Today's readings: Genesis 47-48; Psalms 10; Luke 19

Jesus' Mission

Scripture
[Jesus speaking] "For the Son of Man came to seek and save those who are lost."
Luke 19.10

Observation
Jesus had a clear mission--to seek and save the lost.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
The story of Zacchaeus is one of my favorite Bible stories. Once again, we see Jesus hanging with a "notorious sinner." Not the first time He did it (Luke 5.27-32). . . and I am sure it wasn't the last. And, "the people were displeased." They wanted Him to hang out with the good "religious" folk--not "scum" and "notorious sinners."

But what does Jesus say, "For the Son of Man came to seek and save those who are lost." Jesus tells them that He has come to "seek and save the lost." He knows His mission here.

So often people say they want to know what their mission is--what they are called to do. If Jesus' mission was to "seek and save the lost," shouldn't ours be to "seek and point folks to Jesus--who has the power to save them?"

If we love God with all our heart, all our soul and all our mind . . . and our neighbor as ourself (Matthew 22.37-40) then the mission of Christ follows--to seek and save the lost. Because if we love our neighbor, we will want them to find salvation through Jesus. We, like Jesus, will not anyone to perish (2 Peter 3.9).

So, how will this impact my life today . . . it makes me examine my own life and ask: who am I hanging with? Is Jesus' mission mine? Do I actively seek out the lost and love them and point them to Jesus? There is definitely room for improvement in my life.

Funny, one of the things that gets me in trouble at church is the fact that I love the lost and have a heart for reaching them. Hmmmm. . . .I'd say I'm in pretty good company if that is how people see me. May I always be seen as someone who loves the lost, seeks them out, and points them to Jesus.

Prayer
Father God, I want to be more and more like Jesus. Give me a heart after Your heart--one that loves the lost. Give me the opportunity to seek them out. And, may I boldly point them to You!

2 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hello All!

i've been trying to figure out a place to start the acai berry free trial and was wondering if someone had some opinions on whether or not the stuff works for dieting? So far this is the one [url=http://acaiberries.weblog.com/acai-berry-free-samples-what-you-get-know-more/]article[/url] I've been able to check out that seemed real for what my goals are. Thoughts?