Sunday, January 3, 2010

Life Journal, January 3, 2010
Today's readings: Genesis 6-8; Luke 3

Does It Show?

Scripture
Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God.
Luke 3.8a

Observation
My life should show evidence that I have given it to God.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
I would like to think that my life always shines brightly with the light of God. But honestly, I know it doesn't. And it doesn't take a whole lot of looking to see where I fall painfully short. How can I be a witness, a light, for God if my life doesn't reflect Him in all things? Instead of allowing Him to change me and make me into the person He wants, I find a hundred reasons not to--all really good excuses . . . at least at the moment they seem good.

Repenting of my sins and turning to God is not a one time event . . . but a daily [and sometimes hourly] one. I have to be intentional about it, or I easily slip into old habits and sins--without even thinking about it.

So may I think before I speak and act, may I look with love (God's love) at others--not judgment, may I look into my own heart and life and intentionally move away from my sin, may I trust God fully and follow Him--and Him alone--every day.

Prayer
Father God, I slip so easily into my old ways. Forgive me. I repent from the sin in my life that keeps me from reflecting You in my life. May I live my life in a way that demonstrates that You are my Lord and Savior. Forgive my doubting. You alone are faithful and true. Forgive me for taking my eyes off of You. I cannot walk with You if I'm not looking and following Your path. Thank You that You never give up on me!

No comments: