Monday, January 4, 2010

Life Journal, January 4, 2010
Today's readings: Genesis 9-11; Luke 4

Truth Doesn't Always Make People Happy

Scripture
He [Jesus] taught regularly in their synagogues and was praised by everyone. . . . Everyone spoke well of him [Jesus] and was amazed by the gracious words that came from his lips. . . . When they heard this, the people in the synagogue were furious. Jumping up, they mobbed him [Jesus] and forced him to the edge of the hill on which the town was built. They intended to push him over the cliff.
Luke 4.15, 22, 28-29

Observation
Everyone liked Jesus' teaching/preaching . . . until it got upclose and personal.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
Speaking the truth got Jesus in trouble. Speaking the truth gets me in trouble, sometimes. How do I react when I hear the truth? It is easy to shake my head at others who stiffen their backs and allow hardened hearts to the truth. But, how do I react to it?

Most of us don't like the truth if it hits too close to home and we see the error of our ways. It's hard to admit that we are wrong--no matter how much better the truth might be. We would rather be right--even more so when we are wrong.

I work very hard at telling the truth, even when it is the hard thing to do. I want to be known as a "truth teller." But, can I stand to hear it?

God has often spoken to me when I am sharing the truth with another. He uses that opportunity to say--you need to hear this too. I try to brush it aside, but can't.

I can be just as guilty as everyone else when it comes to not really wanting to hear the truth. I like to think I have gotten better . . . but I still have room to listen--and grow.

So today, rather than get defensive or angry or put-off by the truth, I will listen and ask God to reveal to me the truth that He wants me to hear in the message.

Prayer
Amazing, loving God, help me to hear the truth--Your truth. Help me to use it to grow and become more and more the person who want me to be . . . and have created me to be. And, Lord, as I speak the truth, may it only be Your truth that I speak.

No comments: