Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Life Journal, February 4, 2009
Today's readings: Exodus 37-38; Psalm 19; Acts 11

Helping One Another

Scripture
"During this time some prophets traveled from Jerusalem to Antioch. One of them named Agabus stood up in one of the meetings and predicted by the Spirit that a great famine was coming upon the entire Roman world. (This was fulfilled during the reign of Claudis.) So the believers in Antioch decided to send relief to the brothers and sisters in Judea, everyone giving as much as they could. This they did, entrusting their gifts to Barnabas and Saul to take to the elders of the church in Jerusalem."
Acts 11.27-30

Observation
When others are struggling because of circumstances, we should be generous in our help.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
They helped as much as they could. They didn't save it for themselves, just in case they needed it--they helped those who needed it. How different would our world--my world--be if we gave out of our abundance--what God has so generously blessed us with--and helped . . . without judging whether they deserved it or not.

Instead we tend to hold onto what we have with tight fists--so we can't receive what God has for us. If we opened our hands--letting go of all that we hold on to--our hands would be ready to receive from God.

Today, may my hands be found open.

Prayer
Father God, You supply all my needs. You give me so much. I am so blessed by You. Today may my hands be found open--giving and sharing out of my abundance--praising You with all that I have.

No comments: