Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Life Journal 12 June 2007

Living a Life That Shines
Topic: The Life of a Believer
For God is working in you, giving you the desire to obey him and the power to do what pleases him. In everything you do, stay away from complaining and arguing, so that no one can speak a word of blame against you. You are to live clean innocent lives as children of God in a dark world full of crooked and perverse people. Let your lives shine brightly before them.
Philippians 2.13-15 (New Living Translation)
Observation
God, through His Holy Spirit, works in us and through us so we can be a light to the world--God shining brightly from our God-filled lives.
Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
As I continue reading in Philippians, I am reminded that God does not expect us to obey Him and please Him on our own--we can't do it on our own. He gives us the desire and the power, through His Holy Spirit, to live the lives He calls us to--clean, innocent lives as children of the most High God. If we open ourselves to Him, we can shine brightly for Him in a dark world--pointing to Him, not ourselves. But, we have to do our part--we have to give our lives over to Him and allow Him to work in us--even when it is painful. We have to give up our desires and replace them with what He desires for us. Yet, it really isn't giving up anything, at least not anything of eternity importance . . . and what I gain is far more than anything that I give up. So, why is it so hard for me to let go of certain areas of my life when I know that the life He offers is so much better than the one I have? It is something that I wrestle with all the time. I realize that it is a journey . . . one where I must daily (and sometimes hourly--or even by the minute) lay down my life so that I can be who He has called me to be--so I can shine brightly for Him.
Prayer
Father God, I give You my life . . . again. Please open my eyes and my heart to those things that dim my "God-Light" and give me the strength and wisdom, through Your Holy Spirit, to overcome them. Strengthen my desire to obey You. Place within me the power to do what pleases You. In everything I do may I stay away from complaining and arguing. May I live a life that is clean and innocent as Your child. Lord, may I shine brightly for You in this dark world--lighting the path that leads to You. Thank You, Father. I love You and want to be wholly Yours. In Jesus name I pray, amen.

No comments: