Friday, September 18, 2009

Life Journal, September 18, 2009
Today's readings: Ezekiel 45, 46; Luke 1

Do I Really Believe It?

Scripture
[Gabriel, the angel, speaking to Mary (the mother of Jesus)] "For nothing is impossible with God."

[Elizabeth, Mary's (mother of Jesus) aunt, speaking] "You are blessed because you believed that the Lord would do what he said."
Luke 1. 37, 45

Observation
All things are possible with God and we are blessed when we believe God will do what He says.

Application (How will I be different because of what I just read?)
So, do I really believe these two verses?? Or maybe the better question would be . . . Do I live as if I believe these two verses?

It is one thing to say that I believe that nothing is impossible with God--but it is a whole other thing to live like I really believe it. That means I have to trust God completely, even when I don't feel like it or don't like what He is doing, or can't see Him at work. It means that I have to be willing to proclaim that with God nothing is impossible--knowing that it may not appear that way in the end.

Do I believe that God will do what He says? The catch here is--it doesn't say God will do what I say. Big difference. I think we re-word it to mean what we want it to mean. We want it to say that we believe God will do what WE say. And so, we are then blessed.

Two difficult verses. . .I know that they should be easy to go along with, to agree with . . . but they are not that easy for me. Difficult times in life make me wrestle with them. Do I believe them?

This is when I have to believe them no matter what things "look like." I have to go back to the truths that "I know." I know that the Bible doesn't lie. I know that God doesn't lie. I know that God is faithful, trustworthy. I know that He loves me. I know that He sent Jesus for me so I can have eternal life with Him. . . . I know that nothing is impossible with God. . . . I know that I am blessed when I believe the Lord will do what He says. I do know . . . I need to live it. But . . . .

Prayer
Father God, sometimes I wrestle with these verses . . . . I know that they are true . . . . yet it doesn't always "feel" like they are. I know that is when I am looking at things through my eyes and not Yours. Help me to look through Your eyes. Help me to put my full trust in you. Help me to grow in my faith. Thank You that You are patient with me . . . .loving me and guiding me and helping me to find and see Your truth.

No comments: