Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Life Journal, September 3, 2008
Today's readings: Ezekiel 20, 21; Psalm 111; Revelation 8

True Wisdom

Scripture
Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true wisdom
All who obey his commandments will grow in wisdom.

Praise Him forever!
Psalm 111.10

Observation
Reverence of the Lord is the foundation of true wisdom.

Application (How will I be different today because of what I have just read?)
How quickly we try to make God in our image--rather than recognize who He is--Creator, Sustainer, Redeemer, Healer, Provider, Savior, . . . the list goes on and on. Instead of giving Him godly traits and be in awe of Him--we try to make Him like us. I guess a God we can imagine is "safer" than the One who is in control.

Recognizing God for who He really is--that truly is the foundation of wisdom. We can build our lives from there, being who He calls us to be. Knowing that He can do it, we just have to let Him. Instead we fight for control of our lives.

Our obedience comes from our recognition of who God is. Obviously, looking at the world and the Church and the lives of many Christians--God isn't feared and obedience is not important. How this must break God's heart.

So today, I will remember who God is and I will strive to be obedient to all that He calls me to, recognizing that He gives me the strength and power and wisdom to do whatever He calls me to do!

Prayer
God of all, I stand in awe of You and all that You are. Forgive me for trying to make You in my image. Forgive me for not being obedient to You and all that You ask. I get scared--but it is because I lean into my own "strengths" rather than Yours. Today, I will walk in Your strength, Your power, and Your wisdom.

No comments: